Applications for the 2019-2020 Artist Studio Program are due SATURDAY, MARCH 30, 2019 at 11:59 PM.
For over thirteen years, the Lawndale Artist Studio Program (ASP) has provided artists with a monthly stipend and 24-hour access to a private studio. For the 2019-2020 round, this support will be enhanced with an increased focus on the development of new work and building towards an ongoing and sustainable practice. We are seeking ASP participants who will engage Lawndale as their hub - not only as a place for experimenting, making, and showing work but also as a site for critical engagement and questions. Lawndale is looking for Texas/Gulf Coast-based artists of diverse backgrounds and experiences, working in any media, whose practice would benefit from the support we can offer.
Lawndale Artist Studio Program awards artists with dynamic support to evolve their creative practice and make new work for an exhibition in the spring.The nine-month program runs from September 1 to June 30. During this time, participants engage Lawndale as their hub, receive a $3,000 honorarium, up to $5,000 direct support for project development, and 24-hour access to a private studio (approx. 250 square feet). Other benefits include studio visits, professional development workshops, exchanges with peer institutions, and an essay commissioned for an annual ASP publication. Participants work closely with the Executive Director and Lawndale staff to develop programming in concert with their own practice, and participate in group discussions and open studios. With this support, ASP participants produce new work to debut in a public exhibition at Lawndale in the spring.
Lawndale seeks applications from Texas or Gulf Coast-based artists who are working to develop a sustainable creative practice. Artists of diverse backgrounds and experiences, working in any media, whose practice would benefit from the support offered by ASP, are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be 18 years or older and not enrolled in any degree program. Former ASP participants are not eligible. Applicants who are accepted to exhibit at Lawndale though the 2019-2020 Exhibitions open call are not eligible for the Artist Studio Program.
Application Deadline & Fees
Applications are due Saturday, March, 30, 2019 (11:59 PM - Central Standard Time), and must be submitted online through submittable.com. The application fee is $25 for current Lawndale members/ $30 for non-members.
Applicants will be notified by email in early May 2019.
Applications will be reviewed by a panel of arts professionals. The selection will be based on the quality of work and potential for growth.
- Artist Statement (250 words max)
- Lines of Inquiry (250 words max): What are three questions you are asking in your studio/practice?
- Project Proposal (250 words max): Describe the work that you plan to make--this can be a specific project or an ongoing body of work. Why is Lawndale the right venue for this work to debut?
- Impact (250 words max): How you will use the time and support of Lawndale ASP? Why is this the right time in your life/career to participate in this program?
- Work Samples: You may submit up to 10 examples of your work, in any combination of still image and time-based formats. Image files must be in .JPG format and attached here. Please limit each file to 1 MB in size. For video and time-based work, attach files in the "Work Samples - Videos" section. Combined running time should be no more than 10 minutes, and should be less than 10 minutes if you are also including images (subtract 1 minute for each image). For example, if you include both jpgs and video, you may submit anywhere from 1 image + 9 minutes of video, to 9 images + 1 minute of video. Video works must be in the .MOV format.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV): Saved as a PDF or Microsoft Word document
- References: Contact information for 2 professional references